Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Swallow Tailed Kite Nest in Ft. Lauderdale !

On my way home from a Doctors appointment I happened across a Swallow Tailed Kite that flew in front of my car in a very busy and public place! I pulled over and watched in amazement as this graceful Kite flew at some bushes and caught a dragonfly. The Kite soared and flew closer to me than I have ever been to a Kite. I, OF COURSE, had no camera in hand and I was miles away from getting it! I took advantage of the beauty of the Swallow Tailed Kite following it with my binoculars. After it caught another dragonfly, I saw it fly to a lone Australian Pine. While I thought it was to stop and eat its catch, it was in reality to land on a nest with it's mate already there! I felt weak for a moment and was STUNNED that this nest is in such a populated area and with such easy access! Of course I went back later in the day with camera in hand and managed to get a few images.

0 comments: