Friday, March 6, 2009

Simple Fresh Pickled Beets

Last week I pulled the last of my root crops. In Winter Garden Chores, I shared how I stored my carrots and beets for later use. I also prepared some of my beets to eat. One of my favourite ways is Fresh Pickled Beets. I like them as a side dish, or in a salad. The directions are simple.

Simple Fresh Pickled Beets

  • Remove beet tops about one inch above the root.
  • Thoroughly wash the root, but do not break the skin.
  • Place beets in a pot and cover with water.
  • Bring to a boil then reduce to medium for 35-45 minutes.
  • Rinse in cold water and remove skins (they slip off).
  • Use a paper towel to protect your skin from staining.
  • Slice beets and place in a covered dish.
  • Pour Marukan Seasoned Rice Vinegar to cover beet slices.
  • Add about 1 teaspoon sugar and stir.
  • Refrigerate beets, then enjoy. -- Margy
  • 0 comments: