Saturday, July 10, 2010

Red-throated Loon

The other day, Wayne and I heard the cry of a loon, but it didn't sound just right. Where we live, the typical species is the Common Loon. At a distance, the body shape was the same. But as he came closer, I noticed a big difference in the colouring.

The Common Loon is black and white. This bird was more gray and white, and had a brick red throat. I looked it up in my guide and discovered it was a Red-throated Loon.

I discovered the Red-throated Loon is not common in Coastal BC during summer months. They prefer the Arctic for breeding and return to our shores in the winter. I've seen two birds swimming side-by-side, so they might be a breeding pair. Is this a result of our cool start to summer? Whatever the case, I've enjoyed hearing the calls of our visiting Red-throated Loons and watching them ply the waters of Hole in the Wall. Has anyone else seen nesting Red-throated Loons this summer? -- Margy

0 comments: