Saturday, October 2, 2010

Rain 1, Rain Gear 0

ALEX, AN ACQUAINTANCE FROM Surrey, England, sent me an email today. “Not much to write about the Ryder Cup today. Why on earth did they think Wales in October was a good idea?”

That was at 6:08 a.m. ET. I was still asleep. But when I got around to checking my email later (and also learned the Ryder Cup had been rain-delayed for several hours), Alex’s message made me wonder about Wales’ relationship with Mother Nature. Turns out from October to January, it’s a stormy one. October is the beginning of the rainiest period of the year.

(Photo: Grounds crew member / McLeod, Flickr)

Well, that’s kind of dumb. But there’s more to the story.

When Wales was awarded the Ryder Cup in 2001, there was no FedEx Cup. The matches were tentatively scheduled for mid September (like all Ryder Cups), but the FedEx Cup, now in its fourth year, moved the date of the Celtic Manor Ryder Cup back a couple of weeks.

Hello rain, goodbye U.S. rain gear.

Maybe a company named Sun Mountain shouldn’t supply rain gear. I know, I know. That was way too easy.

−The Armchair Golfer

0 comments: