Friday, August 14, 2009

What Will I Find?

Today I get to go up the lake. It's my favourite place to be any time of the year, but a warm summer day is the best. We just had a much needed rain, so the clearing sky is glorious.

We just finished our first "away" vacation trip after discovering our float cabin on Powell Lake in 2000. It was a great trip to Newfoundland, but homecoming is so sweet! Wayne's already at the cabin while I'm in town getting Mom settled in the condo, and finally it's my turn.

What will I find after four weeks away? With all my mulching will my vegetable garden still be alive and well? Wayne gave me a few hints last night on the phone. He picked tomatoes and bell peppers for dinner, but didn't pull in my floating garden because of the rain. He did say that the asparagus ferns are so big he couldn't see anything beyond and that my pumpkin vine has taken over the dock, but there aren't any sets. Will the Barn Swallows have new chicks after losing their entire first brood? Have the woodrats arrived? What will I find?

Actually, it doesn’t matter. I'll find the best place in the whole world. Our cabin on Powell Lake inspired my husband Wayne to write the Coastal BC Stories series. You too can head Up the Lake and Farther Up the Lake through his books.

Do you have a place that inspires you? Maybe it is where you live, or a vacation home or destination. Maybe it is that special place to sneak away to when you want to be alone. Let us know about it and why you like it so much. -- Margy

0 comments: