Monday, March 9, 2009

Dining Out Eugene Style

This weekend Wayne and I had a great road trip in Bertha, Mom's big Buick, down to Oregon to watch The Women of Troy play basketball. While we were in Eugene, we had two nights to enjoy the town and some good eats.

Sushi-Ya
5 E 8th Avenue

The first night we returned to a Japanese restaurant we discovered last trip, but it has a new name, Sushi-Ya. The reviews are mixed, but we had a good experience. I had sushi and vegetable tempura. Wayne had a California roll and the pork cutlet. Of course, I started with my favourite, an octopus hand roll. When the waiter discovered my tempura wasn't ready, it was provided for free. In our case, the service was prompt and friendly. Sushi-Ya is bright and open with a modern feel.

Steelhead Brewing Company
199 E 5th Avenue # 1

The second night, after the game and a long walk to REI, we stopped at the Steelhead Brewing Company. They brew right on site. I sampled a seasonal pale ale and the Raging Rino Red. I found the pale ale a bit "hoppy" for my taste, but the amber was smooth and rich tasting. If you prefer a softer drink, they brew their own rootbeer. Their menu is traditional pub food at reasonable prices. We shared a salad and pizza to go with our brews. On weekends, they even serve breakfast. Now you know where I'll be during football season before the game. So, if you are in Eugene and like beer, don't miss this place.

Hope you enjoyed my gustatory tour of Eugene. If you have any favourite Eugene hangouts, I'd love to hear about them for our next trip to town. - Margy

0 comments: