Friday, March 28, 2008

Coral Gables , Florida - Swallow-Tailed Kites - March 27 2008



Started the day at 6:15 AM when I picked up friend & fellow photographer Jay Paredes " Beauty of the Wild " and we headed due south towards Miami to find the elusive Swallow Tailed Kite !

It took a good hour fighting morning rush hour traffic but we found the location of the STK nest and then had to find a spot to park as it was in the middle of a residential area. I dropped Jay off at the site and found a spot about a mile away and then trekked back to the site with two other fellow photographers I met up with while parking. John Cornell and Hugh McLaughlin !

We hiked back to the site and after an hours wait we were rewarded with several direct fly overs that resulted in full frame images of the beautiful Swallow Tailed Kite !

After two hours and the meter running out for car parking spot , John, Hugh & I headed back to the cars. John & Hugh called it a day but I went back for another hour with Jay. We witnessed several Red-Tailed Hawks , American Kestrels and Ibis. Jay saw two wild Blue & Gold Macaws flying free while I went to park the car.

Jay & I had several more fly by's and filled our cameras buffers up more than once.

SO now I am back and downloading images once again but no time to post as now I am out the door for Memphis, TN !

Pictures & stories later .

Michael Wolf

0 comments: